Boone County Information
The first courthouse was built in 1870-1871, a little over one year after Boone County was formed from territory taken from the east side of Carroll County and a small strip on the west side of Marion County. The location of the first courthouse and the present one has remained the same through the years. On July 5, 1908, a fire destroyed the first courthouse. On October 10, 1908, a resolution was unanimously adopted providing for the early erection, upon the old site in the public square at Harrison, a fire-proof courthouse building, including all the modern conveniences of steam heat, water etc., and not to exceed $35,000. Active work on the new courthouse began on November 07, 1908 – some 38 years after the county began the construction of the former courthouse. In 1870, $15,000 was a lot of money – but $35,000 in 1908 was a staggering amount, and County Judge J.B. Curnutt and the Quorum Court made a decision that provided our county with a courthouse that has lasted for decades and will continue to do so for decades to come.